FL Studio express?

i've been trolling wondering how some good sounding music i've been hearing has been made, and it makes me curious to see what they use and if i can try it meself. so most pe...

Started
June 29th, 2011

Last Reply
1238 days ago

i've been trolling wondering how some good sounding music i've been hearing has been made, and it makes me curious to see what they use and if i can try it meself. so most people i found out use Fl studio and cubase. now, i would LIKE to buy something cheap that i can use really nicely, but mainly have as most realistic instruments as i can get. i'm wondering if fl studio express will do what i want it to for making video game music. i mean it's cheap, but i don't need to do much fancy things, which is usually what i'm paying for. anyone know of a nice software that has some really nice instruments? i'd be using strings and the piano alot :P. and choral stuff. even if things are 100 bucks are more, still say them.

P.S. seafroggy's: i've used melody assistant. i love it's interface, hate it's instruments.
0 people found this helpful
Melody Assistant is a sheet music writing software. Its not really designed for professional presentation purposes, although they do sell an extended instrument package. Whether its good or not, I have no idea. I use it to write songs, and it writes songs damn well.

What you can do is to write the song in melody assistant, export it as midi and open it up in another midi sequencer. I've done this before, where I loaded up some soundfonts in Cubase (I use Reaper now) and import the Midi. I generally liked the downloaded soundfonts more than Melody Assistant's library (the guitar is icky), but again that's when I want to present mp3's of my midi music.

I have Cubase LE, and I fiddled with the Notation segment of it, but hated it. It was inferior to Cakewalk Sonar's notation software, from version 2 back in 2003 (which makes sense since Cakewalk pretty much originated the midi/score software on PC's back in the 80's and 90's).

No matter what you use, it'll either use your internal sound card instruments (which suck) or have to use some sort of soundbank or instrument bank to play. So if you get Cubase, you'll need to get a vst soundfont wrapper and download some soundfonts.

For purely writing midi for showcase, Cubase is overkill and overly expensive. Its $250 for the cheap version I think, and won't even come with the instrument databases you'll need. Fruity Loops, although I never used it, is limiting as hell from what I've heard.

(you say you're using strings? while the string ensemble from M.A. is lacking, I started to use individual violin, viola, and cello parts since I'm writing some quintet music, and its so much better. And the piano sounds fine)
I suggest trying the demo for FL and all the others yourself to see; http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html
what's M.A. stand for?

so do you think fl studio would be the best way to go then? i'm assuming soundfonts and such is basically the instruments? sorry i'm not the brightest of them all in the music department, so forgive me thar :S
so if i could add instruments from said bank do you have any idea where to get the add ons and such?
Yeah soundfonts are essentially instrument banks. For example, in Cubase, you run your midi tracks to a Soundfont wrapper (in the form of a VSTi), and you load whichever soundfont you want. And it'll play the midi tracks according to which soundfont you load.

M.A. = Melody Assistent

"so if i could add instruments from said bank do you have any idea where to get the add ons and such? "

Not sure what you mean but there's plenty of free soundfonts floating around the internet. Don't be surprised if these sites seem old....soundfonts were big during the Soundblaster Live era (since it was one of the first consumer-grade cards to natively support them.....I still have mine in my old computer, although I never messed with soundfonts too much), so many of these sites were last updated 2003 ish.
If you get FL or whatever, I can send you a handful of classical soundfonts. Keep in mind your EQ and other effects, or else a straight soundfont will sound gross. I do alot of work in FL with soundfonts.
If a soundfont (or any sound) sounds gross without EQ/Compression/whatever effects, then its not a good source. Nothing should ever be fixed in mixing; only made better than it already is.

Granted this is not always plausible, but it is an ideal to shoot for.
website by phil carty © 2011
additional icons by matty andrews and dana brett harris