Changing Graphics

Who all thinks that your character's graphics should change based on story, equipment, etc. And how important is it? Any suggestions on how to pull this off without massive ...

Started
February 24th, 2012

Last Reply
908 days ago

Who all thinks that your character's graphics should change based on story, equipment, etc. And how important is it? Any suggestions on how to pull this off without massive spritesheets?
0 people found this helpful
i love this idea it applies to my favorite games like the assassins creed series and boldors gate series.
and what you could do is make the armor movement sprites and use canvas's to chang the armor
What bothers me about some games is that even when I'm wearing full steel chainmail, I still show up in game wearing a t-shirt and cargo pants... I mean, what's the point in buying super cool sounding armour if I don't look any cooler?

If you're doing a 2D game, "paperdolling" is pretty straightforward, just take the image of your clothing and draw it onto the sprite template.

You should be able to achieve this affect using the canvasToBitmap() function in Jackyboy's Misc Plugin, writing the resulting image directly into the bitmap folder where the frames for your animations are. You could probably do something with newplayer() to reload the animations into your memory.

...if that doesn't work, it shouldn't be too hard making a program to output every single combination of clothing, haha.
brenthenry said "What bothers me about some games is that even when I'm wearing full steel chainmail, I still show up in game wearing a t-shirt and cargo pants... I mean, what's the point in buying super cool sounding armour if I don't look any cooler?"

...so you can have better stats? :P

"If you're doing a 2D game, "paperdolling" is pretty straightforward, just take the image of your clothing and draw it onto the sprite template.

You should be able to achieve this affect using the canvasToBitmap() function in Jackyboy's Misc Plugin, writing the resulting image directly into the bitmap folder where the frames for your animations are. You could probably do something with newplayer() to reload the animations into your memory.

...if that doesn't work, it shouldn't be too hard making a program to output every single combination of clothing, haha."

He's correct: you can use jackyboy's canvasToBitmap() to save out images automatically if you make a method to combine all the images you need onto one canvas. I haven't attempted it with armor because that would require a) images of armor that would be easier not to draw, and b) all characters to have the same shape so they'd fit. However, I have done it with weapons. I should note that I did this for my custom battle system and haven't tried changing the non-battle sprites this way.

Beware of weird issues you can have with hands overlapping things they shouldn't. I actually made separate left hands that go on top of the weapon, which goes on top of the character, who is facing left.

Also, know that many games don't bother to do this. Especially 2d, pixel art games. And personally, I think that's fine. It's also much more likely to get finished that way, without the extra art.
Or you could take my route and have characters that don't wear armour.

If you keep the characters appears fixed most of the time you know its important if it ever changes, e.g. ffiv.
I think its mandatory in a rpg that the character graphics change, at least once in the game. Zelda a link to the past has the perfect combination for that.
William said "I think its mandatory in a rpg that the character graphics change, at least once in the game. Zelda a link to the past has the perfect combination for that."

why is it mandatory and how does zelda lttp have a 'perfect combination for that'
Its mandatory for me because it improves the gameplay so much, and the replay value of the game. It's enough by changing the character when you find a new armor.

Zelda lttp is just perfect beyond explanation. Eventhough they pretty much only change the colors of the items (except shields). They manage to get you excited when you change your sprite.

aheh.
William said "I think its mandatory in a rpg that the character graphics change, at least once in the game. Zelda a link to the past has the perfect combination for that."

Hmmm, I wouldn't say Zelda is the perfect example of a RPG.
I think the graphics of the characters don't need to change unless it's because of a story event(example: character cuts his hair for whatever reason. After that he/she/it should have a sprite with short hair...yadayada....)
But it's a nice bonus in a game if you can get costumes for the party members by completing sidequest(example: the swim suit costumes in the "Tales" games.)
For instance, you can get this costume by doing a sidequest in the game. This lets you watch a specific scene and after that the swim suit costume is available.
website by phil carty © 2011
additional icons by matty andrews and dana brett harris